Professor of Public Policy
- BA (Hons) in Political Science and International Politics, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
- Ph.D. in Political Economy (on the UNSNA), The University of Waikato, New Zealand
- Governance and Public Policy
- Political Economy
- Gender Analysis.
- Human Rights
For more information on Marilyn visit her website: marilynwaring.com
Publications – Report
- Waring, M. J. (2011, October 21). GEPMI Asia and Pacific. UNDP.
- Waring, M. J. (2011, October 3). Commonwealth Roundtable on Social Protection and Unpaid Carers. London: Commonwealth Secretariat.
- Waring, M. J. (2011, July 27). Women in politics and aid effectiveness: an aid to evaluation of MDG3: Gender Equality and Aid Effectiveness. Canberra, Australia: AusAID. Retrieved from AusAID.
- Waring, M., Sumeo, K. (2010). Economic Crisis and Unpaid Care Work in the Pacific. United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). Retrieved from: http://marilynwaring.com/unpaidcarework.pdf
- Waring, M., Fairbairn-Dunlop, P. (2010) Beijing + 15: Review of progress in implementing in Pacific Island countries and territories. Secretariat of the Pacific Community. Numea, New Caledonia. Retrieved from: http://www.spc.int/hdp/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=85&Itemid=44
- Waring, M. (2009). Women's Political Participation. International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Ottawa, Canada.
- Waring, M. J., Carr, R., Mukherjee, A., & Shivdas, M. (2011). Who Cares? The Economics of Dignity.. London, UK: Commonwealth Secretariat. Retrieved from thecommonwealth.org.
Waring, M. J., & Kearins, K. (2011). Thesis Survivor stories. M. J. Waring, & K. Kearins (Eds.), Auckland: AUT Media.
Waring, M. J. (2010, March 8). Being the first: Storis blong oloketa mere lo Solomon Aelan. M. Waring, & A. Pollard (Eds.), Auckland: RAMSI, IPP and PMC.
Chapter in books
- Waring, M., Pollard, A. (Eds). (2010). Being the first: Storis blong oloketa mere lo Solomon Aelan. Pacific Media Centre for the Institute of Public Policy and Regional Assistance Mission to Solomon Islands (RAMSI), Honiara.
- Waring, M. (2009). 1 way 2 c the world: Writings 1984 - 2006. Toronto, Canada: University of Toronto Press.
- Waring, M. (2009). Policy and measure of woman. In A. Salleh (Ed.), Eco-sufficiency & global justice: Women write political ecology (pp. 165-179). London, UK: Pluto Press.
- Waring, M. (2008). Politica y estrategia de provisio de la atencion de salud en la region de la OPS y medicion del trabago no renumerado. In Organizacion Panamericana De La Salud, La economía invisible y las desigualdades de género (pp. 245-285). Washington DC: OPS. Retrieved from http://www.paho.org/Spanish/ad/ge/Desigualdad_genero.pdf
- Waring, M. (2007). Do unpaid workers have rights? In M. Waring & C. Fouché (Eds.), Managing mayhem: Work-life balance in New Zealand (pp. 50-69). Wellington, New Zealand: Dunmore.
- Waring, M. (2007). Portfolio lives: The work-life balance of artists. In M. Waring & C. Fouché (Eds.), Managing mayhem: Work-life balance in New Zealand (pp. 214-234). Wellington, New Zealand: Dunmore.
- Waring, M, & Fouché, C. (Eds.). (2007). Managing mayhem: Work-life balance in New Zealand. Wellington, New Zealand: Dunmore.
- Waring, M. (2007). The South Pacific and the Antarctica: A region under threat. In M. Barlow, W Bello, B Cassen, S. George, B. Kagarlitsky D. Keet, J. Ziegler (Eds.), Voix rebelles du mond: Rebel voices of the world. France: HB Editions.
- Waring, M. (2006) Interview. In L. Simmons (Ed.), Speaking truth to power: Public intellectuals rethink New Zealand (pg 164-173). Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland University Press.
- Waring, M. [Reviewer]. (2005, July). Ministerial review of progress in implementing 2001 Cabinet recommendations establishing NZAID. Retrieved from http://www.nzaid.govt.nz/library/docs/nzaid-waring-review-full-report.pdf
- Waring, M. (2001). In the lifetime of a goat: Writings 1984-2000. Wellington, New Zealand: Bridget Williams.
- Waring, M. (2000). Less than equal: Women’s experience of citizenship. In K. Rubenstein (Ed.), Individual community nation: 50 years of Australian citizenship (pp. 26-33). Melbourne, Australia: Australian Scholarly Publishing. Retrieved from http://search.informit.com.au/browsePublication;isbn=1875606823;res=IELHSS
- Waring, M., Greenwood, G., Pintat, C., Meyer, D., & Jabre, K. (2000). Politics: Women’s insight: Analysis of the IPU survey. Geneva, Switzerland: Interparlimentary Union.
- Waring, M. (1997). What men value and what women are worth. In N. Goodwin (Series Ed.), & F. Ackerman, D. Kiron, N. Goodwin, J. Harris, & K. Gallagher (Vol. Eds.), Frontier issues in economic thought: Vol 3. Human well-being and economic goals (pp. 135-138). Washington DC: Island Press.
- Waring, M. (1996). Three masquerades: Essays on equality, work and human rights. Toronto, Canada. Toronto University Press.
- Waring, M. (1994). Si las mujeres contaran: Una neuva economia feminist [If women counted: A new feminist economics]. Madrid, Spain: Vindicacion Feminista.
- Waring, M. (1991). Hvis: Kvinner fikk telle [If women counted]. (M. Toft, Trans.). Olso, Norway: Cappelen.
- Waring, M. (1988). If women counted: A new feminist economics. London, UK: MacMillan.
- Waring, M. (1985). Women, politics and power. Wellington, New Zealand: Unwin.
Conferences, Seminars, Presentations
- Waring, M. J. (2011, April 25). What does progress mean for our society, and our communities? Victoria British Columbia, canada.
Waring, M. J. (2011, March 18). Intersectionality - The Whole of Us : Retrieved from http://www.media567.com/player/2-1306228255-850.html Keynote Invited Speaker: 2nd Asia Pacific Outgames Human Rights Conference: Strength in diversity: connect, collaborate, inspire.
- Waring, M. (Plenary Keynote) Globalisation and Public Policy: an international cross cultural research exchange conference. Globalisation, women, cross cultural exchange and public policy. (2010, August 12). Institute of Public Policy in partnership with Texas A&M University USA. AUT Conference Centre, Auckland.
- Waring, M. J. (2010, October 28). The costs of accounting: when economics is the problem, economics is not the answer.. In Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (EIANZ). Te Papa, Wellington.
- Waring, M. J. (2010, October 18). Genuine Progress Indicators: Valuing Recreation. Connecting the Dots. In NZ Recreation Association Conference. Wellington, New Zealand. Retrieved from http://www.nzrecreation.org.nz/Files/2010-Conference-Declaration.pdf
- Waring, M. J. (2010, October). The Human Rights and Unpaid Care Interface.. In New Motherhood Organization Conference (MIRCI) 21 October, 2010. Toronto, Canada.. Toronto Canada.
- Waring, M. (2010). [One day workshop for the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association]. In Ninth Commonwealth Women's Affairs Ministers Meeting. Bridgetown, Barbados.
- Waring, M. (2010). Economic crisis and social protection: ensuring gender-responsive and sustainable outcomes. In Ninth Commonwealth Women's Affairs Ministers Meeting. Bridgetown, Barbados.
- Waring, M. (Orator). AUT Graduation Ceremony – Sir Don McKinnon’s honorary Doctorate. (2010, July 29).
- Waring, M. (Presentation). Leadership in action: part 1 – preparing for leadership. (2010, July 2). New Zealand Women in Leadership. Bolton Hotel, Wellington. http://www.nzvcc.ac.nz/files/_Overview_-_Academic_Staff_June_2010_-_Final.pdf Theme: My Story – ‘Becoming a Leader: Taking on a Senior Leadership Role.’
- Waring, M. (Presentation). Linking research with the development of social policy (2010, June 22). Conferenz: Reviewing welfare and social sector policy and reform. Wellington Town Hall, Wellington. http://www.conferenz.co.nz/conferences/reviewing-welfare-social-sector-policy-and-reform?ref=cs.
- Waring, M. (Presentation). Ninth Commonwealth Women’s Affairs Ministers Meeting: Economic crisis and social protection: ensuring gender-responsive and sustainable outcomes. Bridgetown, Barbados. (2010, June 7-9).
- Waring, M. (Presentation). Ninth Commonwealth Women’s Affairs Ministers Meeting: Social protection and poverty. Bridgetown, Barbados. (2010, June 7-9).
- Waring, M. Ninth Commonwealth Women’s Affairs Ministers Meeting: one day workshop for the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association. Bridgetown, Barbados. (2010, June 7-9).
- Waring, M. Global economic crisis: How economic systems drive solutions to disadvantaged or create new problems, what needs to change and how Tasmania could do to promote equity, wellbeing and community cohesion. (2009, September 10). TasCOSS 7th Annual Dorothy Pearce Address, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. Available from http://www.tascoss.org.au/Portals/0/Publications/April%2009%20newsletter%20TasCOSS.pdf
- Waring, M. The splendid idea: Dialogues on judging and judicial education in our transforming world. (2009, April 23). Keynote address at the National Judicial Institute of Canada, 20th Anniversary Symposium, Ottawa, Canada. Retrieved from http://www.ipp.org.nz/publicpolicyfiles/NJI%20Speech.doc
- Waring, M. Cultural diversity and sustainable education in a changing world. (2009, March 25). Keynote speaker at the 2nd International Conference on Educational Reform (ICER 2009), Mahasarakham University, Thailand. Available from http://www.icer.msu.ac.th/ICER2009/key.php
- Waring, M. Key policy initiatives in equal sharing of responsibilities between women and men, including care-giving in the context of HIV/AIDS. (2009, March 3). Opening keynote panelist at the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women, 53rd session, New York, USA. Also panelist for UNDP, Commonwealth Secretariat and Pacific presentations and keynote speaker for IPU at this event. Retrieved from http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/csw/csw53/panels/keypolicy/Waring.pdf
- Waring, M. Leadership in action: part 1 – preparing for leadership. (2010, July 2). New Zealand Women in Leadership. Bolton Hotel, Wellington. http://www.nzvcc.ac.nz/files/_Overview_-_Academic_Staff_June_2010_-_Final.pdf
- Waring, M. Linking research with the development of social policy. (2010, June 22). Conferenz: Reviewing welfare and social sector policy and reform. Wellington Town Hall, Wellington. http://www.conferenz.co.nz/conferences/reviewing-welfare-social-sector-policy-and-reform?ref=cs
- Waring, M. Construction of the ancestry of what is next: a Talanoa for BRCSS 2. (2009, June 12). Paper presented at the BRCSS Conference, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Waring, M. Creating the image we want for the Public Service. (2009, May 15). Paper presented at the Institute of Public Administration and Management, Honiara, Solomon Islands.
- Waring, M. Speaker at Forum topic: Population and Sustainable Economic Development: A Rights Based Approach, NZAID/Family Planning International, Wellington, New Zealand. (2009, July 10).
- Waring, M. An evening with Marilyn Waring: Readings from 1 Way 2 C the World: Writings 1984-2006 at the Ottawa Public Library, Canada. (2009 April 27).
- 2008 Companion of the New Zealand Order or Merit - for services to women and economics in the New Years Honours List.
- 2005 One of the 1000 women nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 2000 The College of Nurses (Aotearoa) announce an annual award for graduate study called the Marilyn Waring Scholarship.
- 1995 Hiroshima Day: Special Award of NZ Foundation for Peace Studies for Peacework.
- 1993 Suffrage Centenary Medal.
- 1990 Commemorative Medal.
- 1977 Queen’s Silver Jubilee Medal
Work in the Public Interest
- Auckland City Council/ARPASS Research Recreation Project for Long Term Strategic Planning for Active Recreation.
- Gender and Governance Advisor – Regional Assistance Mission to the Solomon Islands (RAMSI).
Memberships and affiliations:
- Member of CIW Founding Board on the Canadian Index of Wellbeing. One of only two international board members.
- Member of the Board of AWID (Association for Women’s Rights in Development). (Treasurer).
- Technical Expert on Gender and Poverty for United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- AUSAid Panel Member of the Gender and Equality Support Services.
- AUSAid Panel Member Gender Equality and Training Panel.
- Advisor on Pacific Island Chief of Police (PICP): HIV/Human Rights Project. UNAIDS.
- Member of the AUT Pacific Media Centre Advisory Board.
Examination of Masters and PHDs
- Panickar, P. (2010). Understanding cultural production for sustainability and diversity. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of South Australia.
- Chambers, K. (2010). Push-me pull you: The factors influencing professional women who interrupt careers to care for their children. Unpublished Master of Public thesis, Massey University, New Zealand.
- Christie, N. (2009). Access to marriage for same-sex couples in New Zealand: A matter of human rights. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Waikato University, New Zealand.